Version 0.1.3 (31 March 2020)
We're in the midst of a global rebranching event towards an as-yet-unknowable set of emergent structures, functions, feedbacks and boundaries (the system).
- Resilience is the absorption of system disturbance and reorganization, while maintaining the same trajectory of the evolving system.
- Bifurcation is a disruptive system transformation from the present system, to a new branch of the evolving system.
- Rebranching is a chaotic system reformulation to a different branch, with a different identity on a different trajectory.
A rebranching event begins with maximum uncertainty. The reset process is unique, non-linear, discontinuous, unpredictable, pluralistic, fickle, and self-organizing.
The Xalgorithms Foundation team invites self-organizers to:
- Resist the paralysis that comes from fear of uncertainty, and from mesmerizing streams of situational detail.
- Promptly conceptualize, design and implement 'resolution tasks' that may:
- Make a coherent range of futures more likely;
- Reduce uncertainty by closing off perverse futures.
- Minimize the amount of new information needed while maximizing its decision-making utility, so that our shared information effort is:
- Cost effective: If equivalent decisions can be made based on less information, then less of it should be gathered and managed.
- Cost efficient: Time and intensity of the research effort should be justified by qualitative improvements to decision-making.
- Collaborate in mechanism design projects suited to a wide range of potential futures because they embody:
- Intrinsic agility gained from general-purpose methods, in terms of:
- What can be done with them;
- What they can be built with;
- What they may contribute to, or generate.
- Intrinsic integrity due to self-correcting feedback that:
- Fosters (does not erode) overall system coherence;
- Inverts (does not amplify) overall system disturbance.
- Intrinsic simplicity for:
- Straightforward scalability of deployment and use;
- Ease of learning, auditing, maintenance and eventual replacement;
- Minimum ‘surface area’ for attack or failure, with pragmatic risk tolerance.
- Intrinsic loose-coupling so that:
- Functional specifications are the only constraints;
- Alternative implementations of any given function are interchangeable;
- Form as a consequence of function.
- Intrinsic respect for others, in terms of:
- Social and institutional prerogative (the weight of authority, agreement or preference) within each jurisdiction, where:
- Power is delegated at the discretion of the relatively disaggregated micro decision-makers (subsidiarity); or
- Power is delegated at the discretion of the relatively more comprehensive or macro decision-makers (paramountcy).
- Demand-side freedom to use, study, adapt, copy, redistribute, improve and distribute modifications;
- Supply-side openness, transparency, and an explicit absence of artificial barriers to users' freedom.
Each of the initiatives summarized below will enable anyone to publish, discover, fetch and prioritize a class of normative messages (MUST, MAY and SHOULD, and their negatives and synonyms), with cross-platform portability, scale, volume and speed. This is accomplished through the use of 'Xalgo', a ‘domain-specific language’ (DSL) that allows any rule-maker to specify a tabular declarative GIVEN-WHEN-THEN data filter with three types of declarative information, whereupon the rule is:
- ‘In effect’ GIVEN the date/time, identity and jurisdictional metadata for this rule; and
- ‘Applicable’ WHEN particular facts are present; so that...
- ‘Any device’ can THEN receive a context-specific normative message (MUST, MAY, SHOULD) regarding a set of transformations, filters, arithmetic operations and/or notifications.
Context-Specific Public Alerts Oughtomation (e.g. Pandemic Management and Precaution Optimization)
- Immediate, event-triggered transmission of context-specific normative messaging directly to individuals and organizations.
- Increase awareness regarding ways to participate effectively in pandemic management and precautionary action.
- Enable faster containment, and earlier resumption of activities required for economic, social and ecological integrity.
- Enable auxiliary public communication for every jurisdiction (local, regional, national, international), and ad hoc control zones.
- Ensure complementarity with existing standards and systems:
- Common Alerting Protocol Version 1.2 (OASIS);
- Emergency Alert Broadcast Automation (OpenBroadcaster);
- Guidelines for National Emergency Telecommunication Plans (ITU);
- Framework for Emergency Calling Using Internet Multimedia & Non-Interactive Emergency Calls (IETF);
- Digital identity systems of any jurisdiction, as well as globally distributed identity systems.
Tabular Standards of Value for Stable Benchmark Pricing of Goods, Services, Assets and Currencies
- Global Market Capitalization Index;
- Global Wholesale Price Index;
- Global Primary Commodity Supply Index;
- Earth Reserve Index.
Earth Reserve Assurance (ERA) Framework
- A multi-currency framework, whereby each currency has its own Earth Reserve Index, and and there is no requirement for one reference unit of account.
- ERA Deposit Receipts:
- Provided by currency issuers in exchange for 200-year assurance of ecosystem integrity and resource availablity;
- Redeemable for the aggregate 75-year undiscounted present value of economic 'Rent' (standardized methodology);
- Freely tradable instruments at any market price in regulated securities markets.
- Measurable factors can include: topsoil and fresh water availability; quality and regularity; various ores for metal and minerals; species population health, including human epidemiological indicators; genomic diversity and integrity; the extent and condition of local, regional and global habitats, and essential biogeochemical cycles.
Trade Policy 3.0
- Rapidly changing trade policy rules can be easily expressed, published, maintained, discovered, fetched and tested on-demand via the Internet.
- Human-readable 'rules as data' can be exchanged among, or embedded into, any application for trade, commerce, logistics, value-chain administration, all of which conforms to global standard semantic schemas (i.e. an 'Internet of Rules').
- Reduce the operational costs of both 'single window' and 'distributed' informatics for the administration oftrade, commerce, as well as logistics.
- Trade and fiscal statutes can include an attached 'schedule' or employ an ‘incorporation by reference’ clause.
- Automation of transaction taxes, exemptions, credits, and import/export duties is essential to public sector fiscal integrity.
- Current extreme inefficiency and redundancy (multiple instances of the same rules, each programmed in multiple languages, testing, maintenance and documentation) creates an enormous drag on government revenue and fiscal policy objectives.
- Oughtomation enables fiscal instruments to include an attached 'schedule' containing simple JSON control tables under free/libre/open/public-domain terms, for one-pass operationalization in any platform or application.
Smart Contracting Meets Major Infrastructure Finance
- To generate data for precision value-recognition analytics, and negotiate apportionment of incremental value-added through distributed smart contracting.
- To liberate major infrastructure (e.g. metropolitan rail transit) from constraints of government budgets, public debt, taxes, exclusivity charters and user fees.
- To gain intrinsic dynamic resilience amidst financial crises by selecting both congruent and inverse components of value.
A Design Proposal Towards Web 3.0: ‘Rules-of-Conduct’ Regarding Third-Party Data Use
- To express and automate data control prerogative with context-sensitive precision.
- To bind rules-of-conduct to data transmissions at the packet level.
- To automatically discover and conform with data controls.
And at a more granular level, a Design Proposal Towards Internet 3.0: A Packet Footer Specification for the Transmission of Normative Intent
- One of the unassigned 'bits' in the IP packet header could be used to signal that there is a control table in the packet (i.e. an "IP packet footer");
- This control table would be expressed in strictly-constrained low-expressibility Xalgo domain-specific language, in CBOR notation;
- The following normative metadata can be condensed into a string of 0’s and 1’s:
- 000 Logical—Practical—Ethical (position);
- 000 Imperative—Declarative—Empirical (position);
- 000 RuleMaker—RuleTaker—ThirdParty (position);
- 000 MUST—MAY—SHOULD (position);
- 000 Affirmative—Negative—Interrogative of MUST—MAY—SHOULD (position)
- 000 Be—Do—Have (position);
- 000 Weight of obligation (binary);
- 000 Degree of commitment (binary);
- 000 Gravity of non-conformance (binary);
010 001 100 001 100 010 010 111 011 which can be listed as 36750523
Meaning: Practically, it is useful that the rule-maker should always do [ ]; obligation 2/6, commitment 6/6, gravity 3/6.
001 010 010 100 010 100 101 101 010 which can be listed as 21637482
Meaning: Ethically, it is declared that the rule-taker must not be [ ]; obligation 5/6, commitment 5/6, gravity 2/6
100 100 001 100 001 001 010 010 100 which can be listed as 75895380
Meaning: Logically, is it imperative that a third party must have [ ]?; obligation 2/6, commitment 2/6, gravity 4/6
Share your feedback by contacting:
Joseph Potvin ([email protected]).
Potvin, J., D. Kelly, W. Olders, S. Gagnon, R. Fleck, C. Atkinson, C. Hutcheon, A. Bernal (Forthcoming, 2020). Oughtomation. Dissertation articles in partial fulfillment of a Doctorate in Administration (Project Management). Université du Québec. Canada.